Apple and Walnut Cake
1 x 8” ~ 3 layer cake
80g unsalted butter
280g caster sugar
240g plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
240 ml whole milk
2 large eggs
2 granny smith apples
50g walnuts, chopped
For the buttercream:
Use the cream cheese buttercream, as filling between each layer and all over, decorate with whole walnuts, cinnamon and a “zig-zag” drizzle of toffee sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 190 oC and line three 8” tins with baking parchment.
- Using a hand held electric whisk, beat together the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon on a low speed until the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- Place the milk in a jug with the eggs and whisk until combined, then pour three-quarters of the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix on a slow speed to combine. Increase the speed to a medium and keep beating until smooth and thick, adding the scrapings from the sides of the bowl, then pour in the remaining milk mixture and continue to mix on a medium speed until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- Peel, core and chop the apples into 1cm pieces (the total weight should be about 200g) then stir into the batter with the walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the three tins and level them with a spatular.
- Bake the cakes in the oven for about 18-20 minutes or until they bounce back when gently pressed. Allow to cool before removing from the tins.
Leave a comment
Error: Twitter did not respond. Please wait a few minutes and refresh this page.